Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Where Does He Sit?

Have you ever heard the joke, “Where does an elephant sit when he comes to your house?” The answer of course is, “Anywhere he wants to!” That’s sort of funny, but if an elephant were in your house, he could do whatever he wanted to do because of his size and strength. We could ask a similar question about our own lives. When God comes to your life, what is he allowed to do? What can he change? As Christians, our response should be, “Anything he wants to!”
I wrote in the front of my Bible once a statement that I thought was very insightful and challenging: “God has every right and my permission to rearrange my life at any time in any way in order to fulfill his plan for its influence to his glory.” That’s pretty all-inclusive, isn’t it? There isn’t too much that statement leaves out: “at any time and in any way” takes in just about everything.
The Bible clearly teaches that God can do anything he wants at any time; he is completely free. God says in Isaiah 43:10b–11, 13, “. . . Before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour. . . Yea, before the day was I am he; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand: I will work, and who shall let it?”
God tells his people that he is unique; no one else is like him. He can do whatever he wants and nobody can hinder (or “let”) his plan. We could bristle in response to God’s sovereignty and complain he isn’t fair and it’s not right that he controls the universe. The biblical response would be to trust God and allow him the freedom he deserves to rearrange our lives.
In certain areas of your life do you basically tell God, “Don’t go there”? Where is he allowed to go in your life and what does he have the right to change? He should be able to “sit” anywhere he wants to when he comes to your life. When God’s Word is read, studied, preached, or explained, we should be saying, “God, you are free to change anything you want. Show me what I need to do and I will gladly obey.” What response to you give God when he comes to your life?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home