Wednesday, November 14, 2007

How Happy Are Your Parents?

"My son, be wise, and make my heart glad,
that I may answer him that reproacheth me" (Prov 27:11).
When you are a wise young person, that doesn’t just mean you are smart, it means you are godly. A wise child is one who makes his parents’ hearts happy. That doesn’t just mean he makes them laugh or always does the right thing so they don’t have to be embarrassed. Christian parents are most happy when their children are obeying God.
In fact, we could find out just how wise you are by asking your parents how happy they are. Are your parents happy about your spiritual growth, your obedience, the way you treat your brothers and sisters, and your attitude around the house? How do they feel about the way you talk around the house? Do they enjoy having you around, or is it a relief when you are away? Would they say that your obedience makes their hearts glad? Or are you a burden and grief to them?
We said several weeks ago that Christian young people should obey their parents as they would the Lord (Eph 6:1). You cannot obey God and disobey your parents. Along the same lines, if you are pleasing God, you will be pleasing your parents.
I hope that you are wise sons and daughters. I hope you are wise in how you use your time (Eph 5:15–16). I hope you are wise in the way you work at whatever you are given to do (Col 3:17, 23). I hope you are wise in what you say (Eph 4:29). I hope you are wise in the way you dress and carry yourself (Phil 2:15). I hope you are wise in your thoughts and attitudes (1 Tim 4:12). Being wise isn’t just being smart; it is being godly and pleasing God. When you are wise, your parents can be happy with you, and your youth leaders will be too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home